Wednesday, January 26, 2011
1. "And for maintaining perfect attendance despite having both legs severed in an unfortunate Xerox Copier accident, Joanne Lefkovsky is Bell Labs June, 1965 Employee of the Month."
2. "Oh, boy," what crazy leap had Sam Beckett gotten into this time?
3. Having typed "All work and no play makes Jill a dull girl" 50,000 times, Joanne was ready to start the killing spree.
4. When things got slow at the office, Joanne typed up weird, vaguely depraved captions and posted them under pictures in Ladies Home Journal. Co-workers regarded her as odd.
5. Because her characteristics were not of "a highly stimulating nature," Joanne was never given the password to the bomb shelter.
Best of Double the U
"No... I didn't bring any unauthorized personal into the office and try to hide them, why do you ask?"
Best of prince of leaves
Merlene listened with bemused disbelief to the time traveler's description of the new "ARPANET" project's future as a globe-spanning conduit for pornography -- who would ever find a cartoon-like arrangement of chads on a punch-card titillating?
Best of jimmy
Edna was later dismissed when her boss found her seated on the dot matrix printer, her stolen moment of ecstasy bringing her career to an abrupt end.
Best of dadoctah
Once a month, I get a letter from Mom filling me in on what's happening with my secret half-sister who wants to go into television.
Best of Nose
...hoping Army of Mom has that outfit...
Best of blue
In the 1960's IBM would hire women engineers and put them out front where the clients could see them.
Best of Dr. Doom
The IBM 1967 Product Wall Calendar was not the sales booster that the suits had envisioned...
Best of metalgarth
Choosing the "best ofs" was much more labor intesive back when mainframes were the industry standard.
Best of Army of Dad
Even in the 60s some women didn't have to worry about being sexually harassed at work.
Best of jj
In this undated photo, a young Aileen Wuornos is shown on the day she was fired by a Fl bank. She then decided to go to a bar for a drink.
Best of Matt the K
"Danger, Will Robinson!! Butterfaced twig ahead!!"
Best of GregMan
"Hey, look, the Finance Minister of British East Africa wants to wire me 5 million British pounds!"
Best of Carpe Phlogiston
"Dear Penthouse, I never thought this would happen to me..."
Edith finally gets up the nerve to publish her fantasy, and it's a doozy.
Best of mega
To think, all that computer code just to ... oh wait, that's the health care bill.
Best of Merovign
Whatever else you say about the quality of modern civilization, our Geek Chick standards have improved considerably.
Best of Submariner
"Why yes, Uncle Walter, I'd LOVE to play 'Reporter in the Street' with you again. Bring that big ol' microphone in your hand over here."
Best of Rodney Dill
In the early days of computing, Grace Hopper was considered a real hottie.